Leuchttuerme der Schweiz – Faróis na Suiça
Lighthouses of Switzerland
|Leuchtturm Feu des Paquis, Genève – Schweiz|
|Switzerland is an Alpine country with no seacoast, but it does have lighthouses on two large lakes. One is Lac Léman (Lake Geneva in English). The Rhône River flows out of Lac Léman at Genève (Geneva) to begin its course through southern France to the Mediterranean. Another large lake is the Bodensee (Lake Constance), located on the country’s northern border with Germany. The Rhine River flows through the Bodensee before beginning its course northward through Germany and the Netherlands to the North Sea. The lighthouses on the lakes are owned and operated by the respective city governments. Besides being decorative, they do have some function, since there is navigation on both lakes. |
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights.
Special thanks to Michel Forand for providing much of the data on these lighthouses.
- Lighthouses of Lac Léman (Lake Geneva)
- Leuchtturm Genf – Genève Jetée du Sud (2)
- 1911 (station established 1875). Active (?); focal plane 3 m (10 ft); continuous red light. 7 m (23 ft) octagonal cast iron tower with an ornate domed roof. Tower painted white, lantern black. Victor Abellón’s photo is above, Nathalie Booth has a nice panoramic view showing the Feu des Pâquis (next entry) in the background, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the Jetée du Sud (south jetty) in the Parc des Eaux-Vives, near the famous Jet d’Eau, the world’s tallest fountain (140 m (459 ft) high). Site and tower closed (this jetty does not appear to be walkable), but there are good views from the park onshore. Owner/site manager: Ville de Genève. ARLHS SWI-002.
- Leuchtturm Les Pâquis (Genève) (2)
- 1896 (station established 1857). Active (?); focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white or green light, depending on direction; the lighthouse is also floodlit at night. Approx. 17 m (56 ft) octagonal cast iron tower mounted on an octagonal stone base. Entire lighthouse painted white. Mihai Midus’s photo is at right, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This well known lighthouse is the subject of countless photos. The first lighthouse was built as an experiment, to test the use of a primitive form of electric lighting in which the light was provided by an open arc of electricity. The tests were held in December 1857. The results were inconclusive at best, and the test lighthouse was abandoned until the present tower was built in 1896. At that time there was commercial shipping on Lac Léman, but only pleasure craft and passenger ferries navigate the lake today. The lighthouse is located at the end of the Jetée des Pâquis, which projects into Lac Léman on the waterfront of downtown Genève (Geneva), at the intersection of the Quai du Mont Blanc and the Quai Wilson. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Ville de Genève. ARLHS SWI-001.
- Leuchtturm Morges Jetée du Sud
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); continuous red light. 7 m (23 ft) square masonry tower with a steeply pyramidal, tile-covered roof; the light is displayed from the peak of the roof. A winter photo is available, Geoff Marston has a 2008 photo showing both lighthouses, and Google has a satellite view of the harbor. Morges is a town on the north side of Lac Léman a short distance west of Lausanne. The harbor was built in 1696 and the two jetty houses are believed to be nearly that old. It is not known when they were equipped with lights, but note that there’s no light shown in Huelse’s postcard view. Located at the end of the south jetty at Morges. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWI-003.
- Leuchtturm Morges Jetée du Nord
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); continuous green light. 7 m (23 ft) square masonry tower with a steeply pyramidal, tile-covered roof; the light is displayed from the peak of the roof. Claudine Booth’s photo is at right, another good photo is available, this lighthouse is on the left in Geoff Marston’s 2008 photo showing both lighthouses, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located at the end of the north jetty at Morges. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWI-004.